Thursday, April 24, 2008

Venice - No Bikes or Cars Allowed!!!

We arrived in Venice for a 2-night stay. Spent most of the time wandering through the maze of streets, getting more or less lost.

We had amazing weather when we were there. A nice change from being FREEEEEEZZZZING in Munich!!
We had this great idea to get some wine, mozzarella and proscuitto and have a picnic outside. It didn't work out so well. We spent about 30 minutes trying to find somewhere to have this "picnic," during which time I was becoming increasingly hungry (read: cranky). While we had the wine corked at the deli, we couldn't get the cork out!!! Once we pushed the cork in (with a battery some my camera, which fell into the bottle!), we had no glasses and kept passing the bottle back and forth between swigs! And eating fresh mozzarella can be a messy sort, especially with no cutlery or napkins. The prosciutto was probably the only easy part of it all. But, it was a nice experience. (One we probably won't try to repeat without proper planning!)


I know I'm gonna get flack for this, but look how cute these kitties are!!!! This is their makeshift home outside a church. Don't know who feeds them, but believe me, they are not starved!!

Nice hotel, ya? (Not ours, but I thought it was pretty!)

Chris contemplating the meaning of life...or his next meal...I can't remember!

Taxi anyone???

We took a sunset "cruise" by hopping on one of the boats and just touring the island. Beautiful!!


Nice face, Chris!


This was around the small island of Murano, where the famous blown glass is made.

We found this GREAT restaurant in Venice that had only 6 tables and was run by two Italian women. While we waited for table, we were given free glasses of red wine. Then, upon being seated, the waitress came over to take our orders. No menus, simply a choice of pasta, pizza, or lasagne and red or white house wine. It was such a good meal for a good price!! A great change from our first dinner in Venice during which we were suckered into ordering the most expensive fish in Venice, a seemingly amazing steal at 5 Euros! Oh, but that's 5 euros per 100 grams - our fish was 2.1 kilograms!!!!!!

This is a building across the courtyard from our hotel.


On our last day in Venice, it rained. I don't think I've ever seen this many umbrellas!!!

The view from Camponile tower in St. Marks Square!

The domes atop St. Marks Basillica. It was FREEEEZZZING up in the tower!!! And rainy!!! But we survived!

Off to Florence....

No comments: